The recorded history of Townings Farm dates as far back as the late 13th century, at the beginning of the Tudor era. The farmhouse was a traditional hall-house, in which a large fire would be built in the middle of the house to warm the surrounding rooms. Remnants of the original structure, including the hall room and the fire chimney, can still be seen in the house's current state, although several extensions have been added since.

In more recent history, the land has been farmed by the Uridge family since around 1950 and was once primarily a dairy farm, supplying milk to a large supermarket chain. However, this brought little profit or reward, so in 2005 we decided to take a leap and sold the majority of our dairy herd, in favour of developing a business centred around self-sufficiency, local produce and traditional farming. The shop started out in a small shed at the front of the house, and expanded year by year.

Townings Farm Shop is now situated in the building that was once our milking parlour. We have also established strong links with the management of Chailey Common, as we regularly graze our sheep on the commonland. This and other conservation work has enabled us to further our sustainable business outlook, and we are looking forward to continuing this in the future.